Sunday, January 20, 2013

Lok lok dumpling bar

510-512 Elizabeth St
Melbourne

Decided to give Lok Lok a go as its around the corner from work and I think I found it on urbanspoon (although it doesn't have the best rating on there - I think they did a groupon special and they treated the people with vouchers awfully).

Lok lok is one of those "not awesome service" but they do cheapish dumplings. Not tattersalls lane cheap but still good value. Just disappointed they stopped serving the free flasks of tea. You now need to spend $3 if you want tea :( and that's a small teapotful so I tend to run out.

My favourites there are:
- soup dumpling shau long bao
- wonton in chilli soup
- hong kong style prawn dumpling
- prawn and chive dumpling



There's also:
- spring rolls (sometimes hit n miss)
- spring onion pancake (similar to a potato cake without the batter)
- pork and prawn Sui mai (usually good sometimes meh)

Little scary that's off the top of my head but I do like my dumplings :)

They also do main dishes (like omelette on rice, soups and noodles).  For awhile I was enjoying the lok lok handmade noodles but then found them a bit too oily.

If you do go - note there is a little service/doorbell type thing on your table, be sure to use that to get service. :)

Unfortunately they do not serve alcohol here :(

1 comment:

  1. We've got one of these near us.

    It's no where near as good as out Din Tai Fung, but significantly closer, so it gets a bit of business from us :)

    Love the soup dumplings and the wontons in chilli soup too!

    ReplyDelete